The County Assembly of Kitui is one of the forty seven (47) county assemblies established by the Constitution.
MEMBERSHIP OF THE ASSEMBLY
The assembly has;
- Forty (40) elected members from various wards within the county
- Fourteen (14) nominated members, nominated by the political parties represented in the County Assembly, to ensure that:
- Community and cultural diversity of Kitui County is reflected in the Kitui County Assembly; and
- There is adequate representation to protect minorities within Kitui County in accordance with Article 197 of the Constitution.
- The Speaker, who is an ex officio member elected in accordance with Article 178 of the constitution.
THE LEGISLATIVE AUTHORITY OF THE ASSEMBLY
According to Article 185 of the Constitution, the Legislative Authority of Kitui County is vested in, and exercised by, the County Assembly of Kitui
The Assembly makes laws that are necessary for, or incidental to, the effective performance of the functions and exercise of the powers of the County Government of Kitui.
Also, the Assembly exercises oversight over the County Executive Committee and any other Kitui County executive organs. The Assembly ensures that all the resources allocated to the county are used for the benefit of the people of Kitui County.
Again, the Assembly may receive and approve plans and policies for:
- The management and exploitation of the Kitui County’s resources; and
- The development and management of Kitui County’s infrastructure and institutions
ROLE OF THE ASSEMBLY
According to Article 8 of the County Governments Act 2012, the roles of the Kitui County Assembly include;
- Vetting and approving nominees for appointment to Kitui County public offices
- Performing the roles set out under Article 185 of the Constitution
- Approving the budget and expenditure of the Kitui County Government in accordance with Article 207 of the Constitution, and the legislation contempleted in Article 220(2) of the Constitution, guided by Articles 201 and 203 of the Constitution.
- Approving the borrowing by the Kitui County Government in accordance with Article 212 of the Constitution
- Approving Kitui County Development planning
- Performing any other roles as may be set out under the Constitution or legislation